Friday, March 23, 2012

Kits and Bias Binding!

I have been putting together kits for the silk ribbon neck purses and they use a lot, and I mean a serious amount, of bias binding! However my trusty Simplicity bias binding maker has come into its own and this morning I was able to make about 30 metres of bias binding in two goes useing the continuous strip method. This makes making bias binding a piece of cake! Mind you it took me a couple of hours to get the strips ready to run through the machine and then wind up the resulting bias binding into rolls! But I'm not complaining as before to make this amount would have taken me half a day at least! So £69 well spent! It is definitely going to earn it's keep! A tip if you are going to use the continuous strip method. It is very important that the first cut off is at an exact 45 degree angle and that the markings from then on are very exact. Otherwise, when matching up the edges to sew, the lines don't match. If anyone would like a tutorial on this I would be happy to oblige when I come back from Exeter. It certainly beats joining lots of strips together!


So this weekend will be a mammoth dyeing session of silk ribbon. I am leaving the dyeing of the fabric to Graeme who has become very good at this! I might do a pastel colour wheel run but only if I have time from the silk ribbon dyeing.

The next project is going to be silk ribbon cards! Mainly because I have loads of cards from a project from years back and need to find something to use them on. They are the kind that have three folds and one puts textile work behind a cut out frame.



No comments:

Post a Comment