Saturday, December 06, 2008

Quilty Christmas Dinner



Last night my quilting class and I went for our Christmas dinner at the Norway Inn in Falmouth. This is a very old inn (around 350 years old) on the banks of what was once a very busy river but is now a slow, silted up back water. The food was delicious and a great time was had by all.


This was my choice. Salmon in a filo pastry parcel which was delicious, with a parsley sauce and selection of vegetables. I am not a sprout person so there is a decided absence of green on this plate. And I thought the white puddingy stuff in a bowl was bread sauce which I adore but it turned out to be horseradish sauce. Hot! But interesting with salmon!

Dessert was a raspberry gateaux. Very light and sinful! But tasty! The other choices were chocolate cheese cake or lemon mousse. I was tempted by the lemon mousse and to my disappointment no one else ordered it so I couldn't see what I'd missed. Perhaps this was just as well. All in all it was a very good evening and a lot of fun was had by all. I had prepared small gifts for the two ladies who supply us with tea or coffee and biscuits on a Friday morning. This is a real treat. We never had this in Adult Education. It was coffee from the machine in a styrofoam cup and tasted vile! So very deserving of recognition! And then to my surprise I got a card signed by all and a voucher for Creative Grids. I shall go mad after Christmas choosing stuff! You can never have too much. They are a lovely bunch of students and they are all coming back next term!
=
Next Friday is our last class before Christmas and the last of my fabric! I have not had a lot of joy in finding a new supplier yet. Anne Wigfull of the blog Grains in the Wind gave me the name of a supplier (JMM Marketing 01428 717357) and they had some nice cotton which I am test dyeing today but no poplin. They are hoping to get some for me but not until after Christmas. Nothing as cheap as I was getting! The cotton looks nice but is thicker than my previous fabric and I'm not certain it is mercerised.Oh to be in the States where they have access to wonderful cottons. Their Pima cotton is superb.

2 comments:

  1. The dinner looks so delicious.
    Wish I were there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't christmas party season great?! I have six in the next 10 days... I suspect sheer willpower will be needed to get me through the last few.
    s.xx

    ReplyDelete