Saturday, September 20, 2008

This and that!



This is a small origami type purse that I made as an exercise for my students. It is just a rectangle of fabric with batting and a backing that is decorated with the more useful of the embroidery stitches on my Bernina. It is so simple to make and is a useful reminder of my stitches. Well of some of my stitches. I keep machine embroidery threads in it while working on a project and hang it from a hook on my sewing table. Tres useful!


I am enamoured of black and white fabric at the moment. The blocks above are simple nine patch pieces in different sizes using black and white dotted fabric. The method I use for making a nine patch piece makes two pieces so one of the above blocks will be part of a larger black and white piece while the other one I shall layer up with batting and quilt it; then back it by bagging it out and finally I'll over-dye it. I have been dyeing some black and white fabric patterns while I write and I'm interested to see how they turn out. Black and white fabric lends itself beautifully to over-dyeing and discharging further. Can't wait to play!


This is our resident squirrel burying acorns on our lawn. Left to their own devices by next spring I should have a forest as he (or she) never seems to find them all as is demonstrated by the number of hazel trees we have growing everywhere. He has even been seen sitting in the bird table chewing on sunflower seeds. Cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment