Saturday, August 11, 2007

Quilt Exhibition



I went to the Falmouth Quilters Group's exhibition today with my friend Sue and it was a real treat. As well as smaller items there were several really large quilts, mostly in the traditional manner, but very impressive and beautifully made. The quilt above is a Baltimore Album and the applique work was exquisite. It isn't the best photo in the world but it was hard to get into position and get most of it in the picture. Unfortunately I don't know the maker's name.

This Fibonacci quilt was made by one of my ex students, Mary Miller, who had several quilts on show. The appliqued vine really made this quilt and it was quite striking. My photo doesn't do it justice.


Another Baltimore Album quilt which was started in one of my classes. The amount of work in this is enormous but well worth all that effort. Again I wasn't able to do it justice with the camera angle.


I don't know who made this quilt but again it was full size and lovely. Very delicate with lovely pastel colours.


This is a Leaf Wreath quilt by Jeanne Pettit which was started in one of my classes. The fabrics used were really gorgeous and made the quilt. The quilting was superb as it was done on long arm machine. Really spectacular.


An attractive use of Cathedral Window patchwork in a cushion. Maker unknown.


A piece of silk ribbon embroidery by Carole Monk which was started in one of my workshops. Beautifully done.



And last but not least of the photo's I took, a jacket, made by Barbara Johnson. I really love this pattern and would like to make it for myself. The little bag was made by Jan Woods.

All in all it was a great exhibition and I spent far too much money in the shop buying batik fabric and a couple of books which I couldn't resist. And the cakes in the cafe were to die for! I had a superb orange and poppy seed sponge which was light and moist and Sue had a really sinful chunk of gooey chocolate cake. Our friend Yvonne who joined us for coffee didn't have any cake at all. I don't know how she was able to resist! Her will power must be tremendous! So a good time was had by all.

1 comment:

  1. It's lovely!
    I loved the 4th quilt with the flowers.
    Bye
    Yona

    ReplyDelete