Saturday, March 25, 2006

Lutradur...the beginning

Today I didn't do any dyeing and the sky didn't fall in! Wonders will never cease! But I did start playing with the Lutradur that I have. It has been patiently sitting in my workroom waiting for me to come and play with it and today was that day. I had two types. One is fairly thick and not so transparent but the other piece is beautifully thin and quite transparent. Firstly I painted several sheets of paper with disperse dyes both in abstract patterns and in natural forms such as seaweed and fish. Then when the paper was dry I ironed them onto the Lutradur. To begin with I had no idea where I was going with it but as it progressed I began to get some ideas. Some months ago I started two pieces of work portraying under the sea scenes with fish etc. I had progressed quite some way with these two pieces but then for no reason I just went off them. It happens! But now I could see that I could use the lighter, more transparent lutradur over the top of them. So far I have just offered it up to see the effect but what I will do is either bond the lutradur to the piece or just lay it over the top and then burn through and add more paint etc plus extra stitching either by hand or machine. The other pieces I shall use to experiment with and see where this leads me. I had almost decided to give up on experimenting to concentrate on a body of work but decided recently that wasn't the road I want to follow. I do not work to exhibit so it really doesn't matter what I do. The main thing is that I actually do something. So I am having fun at the moment playing with my lutradur. I will post more pictures as I progress.
=
It is the end of term. Yesterday was my last class until after Easter so I will have some time to think about other things. I have been feeling exceptionally liberated as I organise and clear my house. The new cupboard is wonderful and I can't wait for the second one to arrive as it is bigger and will have more of an impact on things. I am debating whether to get another drawer set to put fabrics in though it will mean getting rid of stuff! Can I do this? I don't know. But I did manage to give away my massive combination microwave and just use my smaller model which made all the difference on the work top. More room for other stuff. The fact that the day after I'd given it away the smaller one gave up the ghost isn't really important! I just went out and bought another one for £24. They are so cheap! I've been wanting to get a new small microwave for ages and now I have! I only use it for my porage in the morning, heating milk and defrosting stuff I've forgotten to get out of the freezer in time. And I got a new steamer so I can use the base of the old one to melt wax in which is great. That wasn't the only reason for changing but it was a very valid reason ....to me! And I went through my larder and threw out everything that was out of date. Some of those jars of stuff(herbs and spices mainly) went back to the 1900's! I won't say what year! Suffice it to say that some of the prices were in £'s, shillings and pence! I even ironed some shirts the other day. Martin is very worried about me!
-
Have a very happy Mother's day tomorrow all you who are celebrating this day on this date and don't forget the clocks go forwards. We are losing an hour!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your report on the Lutrador. I had no idea what it looked like until now.
    It's a lovely feeling to be able to let go and do something just because you feel like it. That is what I do most of the time these days. I wonder sometimes why I join RR's and group work where there is pressure to finish things. I don't know if I would ever do much if I didn't though. I will have to put it to the test!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about serendipity!
    I expect/hope that tomorrow's mail will bring some Lutradur to me.I have NO idea what it looks like,but after reading about it,just had to try it,and I finally found an Australian supplier!
    Like Margaret I have to admit that if I didnt join projects with definite datelines I'd probably complete less than I do now!

    ReplyDelete