Friday, March 17, 2006

Nearly a week has gone by!

It has been a very productive week, despite being ill with a tight chest and gungy lungs barely escaping having pneumonia. And on top of all that as if it weren't enough I also hurt my back. How I don't know as one night I was a right as rain and in the morning I could barely move. But I triumphed over all and achieved all I set out to do. There is that wonderful sense of bravery in the face of adversity pervading me at the moment! Grin. But I do have a quilt top to show for it! I started and finished my Magic Squares quilt top and it took less than seven hours to do from start to finish. It is double bed size and would have been completely finished except that I was 2 inches short on the wadding and rather than spoil the ship for a h'porth of tar I decided to order some Warm and Lovely. But it won't take a moment to finish when it comes and I shan't quilt it but will tie it.
-
And I managed to write up notes for all the classes I want to teach from next September in the Adult Education program. As well as my regular weekly quilting class I am also going to do 16 mini workshops on all sorts of subjects ranging from painting to postcard making. So I can now relax and just wait for September. Oh I will have to make some samples for the classes but that is the fun part.
-
Todays class was the penultimate one before the Easter break and the students had a great time making their versions of the Magic Square Quilt. I took some photos and got permission to post them. We work in a large airy room and no matter how few students turn up we seem to fill every table there. There are nine in the class this term but only six were there today due to various reasons. But we needed all the space!
-















The photos are a) of the class b) Mary with her pile of strips busily sewing away c) Ellen with a nearly completed green and red striped block and c) Ellen's block cut and sewn into two squares. This is such a simple pattern to do and makes a quilt top in hours rather than days. Irene, who is the student nearest to the camera in the first group picture said it was the best thing she had ever done!
-
So it has been a good week regardless of physical ailments. Hopefully I shall be fully recovered by Monday as I can't have any more time off work. I had last Monday off but struggled in for the rest of the week. I felt like a martyr! Grin
-
I am religiously keeping to the rules in the Eat that Frog book and they are working. I am getting more stuff done and out of the way. A great sense of satisfaction. I also finished reading the Twyla Tharp book and decided I didn't like it. Not for me. I personally felt that it related much more to her dance routines even though it wasn't supposed to and wasn't general enough for any craft oriented creativity. I expect lots of people wouldn't agree with me but for my money it wasn't worth it. Too much of what was said had been said before and better, by others. So disagree with me!
-
I have also ordered two cupboards so that I can tidy up and create a more serene atmosphere in my living room and kitchen/diner which is where my dyeing stuff lives. I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that a tidy house is much more conducive to creative thinking and doing. So you are saying ...what took you so long to come to this opinion? Well I'm slow in some things! And lazy! But the new me is slowly opening up like a flower after rain. I'll get there eventually and it will be the making of me!
-
I have a new book and its cold outside...very very cold. So it will be an early night snuggled up under the covers with the book!

1 comment:

  1. It's very cold here in N Wales too Valeri. Hope you feel better in the morning.
    I love those quilts and I must look into it. I knew this would happen as soon as I started reading these blogs. I want to have a go at everything everyone is doing. Help!

    ReplyDelete