Monday, February 13, 2006

Children's books mème

This mème is courtesy of Bayou Quilts where I saw it earlier. As I love books, any books I thought it would be fun to do. So here goes
-
1. 3 favourite children's series- had to pick more here
Anne of Green Gables
What Katy Did
Famous Five by Enid Blyton
Narnia series
-
2. 3 favourite non-series children's books- more than three here too
-
Wind in the Willows
Black Beauty
All Summer Through - Malcolm Saville
Fantastic Mr Fox -Roald Dahl (sp?)
Swish of the Curtain - Pamela Brown
White Boots - Noel Streatfield
Peter Pan
-
3. 3 favourite children's books characters
-
Peter Pan
Sally from All Summer Through
Harriet from White Boots
-
There are more, many more but it was supposed to be only three for each category. And it really depends on the age you are working from. When I was very young I loved Milly Molly Mandy and the Pooh books. Then as I got older it was Swallows and Amazons and the Adventure series by Enid Blyton. And also Secret Garden and Little Lord Fauntleroy. I could read by the time I was three and never had my head out of a book. I can remember in Primary School always being in trouble for reading a book under my lifted up desk lid. We had those old fashioned desks with lids that lifted up to access the storage space underneath. And they had ink wells which were filled with real ink. My first grown up writing was done using a dip pen and ink. The ink was made from a powder mixed with water and it was the ink monitor's job to do this. This is really making me go back and remember all kinds of things.

1 comment:

  1. Trying again to comment on your blog.

    This journey back into favorite books from my childhood and my children's favorites is helping me compile a list of books for Mila (and future grandchildren). I need to read "new-to-me" children's authors and books and re-read old favorites. I'm thinking about making some things to go along with the books - a postcard, a hat, a scarf to "coordinate" with some of the books that I give as gifts.

    Side note: I just finished reading Stranger House by Reginald Hill and one of the characters made a reference to Enid Blyton's Famous Five. :)

    ReplyDelete