Sunday, February 26, 2006

No time, no time!

I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice and Wonderland. There is no time for me! Wah! I managed to escape yesterday as I had a workshop to do locally with members of the local quilting guild. It was a cold but dry day and there were ten altogether so it was very cosy. The workshop was on handstitching and seam embellishment for crazy quilting. I took along loads of samples and we had a great day. There are about six or seven stitches that I use constantly so we concentrated on these and then I showed them how to amalgamate stitches to make complex embellishments. Some great work was done and I think they all really enjoyed it, even though it was very cold! It was good to get out and talk to adults again! Grin! Last week was half term so I didn't have my usual Friday class even.
--
I have seen more of the beach in the last week than I ever do at this time of the year. Fenella is unphased by the bleakness of the weather and can make sandcastles for England. Fred is usually warmly wrapped in his pushchair with only his eyes showing and fast asleep. And Caroline aka Mum, is a fiend for shell collecting. In fact she would be there for hours if we let her but usually Fenella and I end up in the beach cafe with super hot chocolate and home made Brownies.
--
I have been unable to do any stitching but I have lots of ideas and I've taken lots of pictures of rocks and stones. The shells are of the small variety and really quite ordinary but collectively look quite interesting. I can't remember now where I saw it but somewhere I saw a sculpture that had been completely covered in shells and it looked magnificent.
=
Another week to go and then the family go back to London. I shall miss them but on the other hand my workroom is calling me and I need to do more dyeing. This house is too small!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed all your photos this morning Valeri, the seaside ones are great.
    Enjoy the little ones while you can, they grow up too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing how small one's house can get with other people in it! I love to have my children and their partners stay, and eagerly anticipate it, but I'm always glad to get back to doing whatever I want whenever I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures of the sea and lovely shells and stones, plenty of inspiration there. You are making me want to spend an afternoon at the ocean.

    Those are awfully cute children even if they are making the house small. Hang in there, you will be back to making art in no time. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love this picture of shells. i just bought a fabric that looks just like that! i also live by the shore, but our natural habitat (NY) doesn't produce gorgeous shells like that! what a nice place to live!

    ReplyDelete