Thursday, November 24, 2005

The end is nigh!

Well I can see the end of the apple project. I've been working on it in every spare moment as I get quite excited when as much as this is done to see what its going to end up looking like. After hand stitching into the net shadows I decided that it didn't need any beads. There is enough of the gold showing through to give it some glitz. It was hard to know what to do with the surrounding fabric. On the one hand I didn't want to detract from the apple shapes that I dyed but I did want to put some structure into it. So at the moment I am quilting the lines which radiate outwards using a brown perle cotton. It is quite strange to be doing it by hand. I am definitely a machine quilter. But its very restful and I can pick it up and do it in odd moments. Most of my moments are very odd! Then I will have to decide what to do with it. Whether to put a border or borders on and if so are they to be symetrical or assymetrical? Or just to bag it out and put on a hanging sleeve. Hopefully it will speak to me. I'm going to have to dye fabric this weekend as I didn't do any last weekend and I am now low on stocks. So I will dye some specific colours and audition them. So I should have it finished by the beginning of December which is good as I want to start something new now.

I'm glad that so many of you have found it interesting to see my thought processes at work and to watch the project grow. I have been having so much fun apart from the fact that with all the layers on the apples it is like sewing through canvas and at one stage I had to get pliers to help me pull the needle through. I'm possibly going to call it 'It Started with an Apple!' But if you have suggestions let me know.

Also I hope you are all enjoying your Thanksgiving and that those who like us in the UK don't celebrate, that you are having fun anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment