Friday, January 20, 2006

Recipe for Oatcakes

Here is the recipe for oatcakes that so many people asked for. If you make 15 oatcakes from the mixture each one will have about 77cals and 2.5 gms fat. They are delicious with butter and cheese or any topping in fact.
225g medium oatmeal
2 tbsp plain flour (I used SR as I didn't have any plain)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt (I used coarse as I didn't have any fine)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tbsp melted butter
1 medium egg(I added this to the recipe-thought it was better with it)
100ml warm water
Preheat oven to 190C/375F/Gas mark 5
Oil 2 baking sheets. I managed to get them all on one large one.
Mix together all dry ingredients. Stir in melted butter, whisked up egg and enough water to make a firm dough. I used all the water. Turn out and lightly knead for a couple of minutes until a smooth dough is formed. If it is too crumbly stick it back into the bowl and add a bit more water.
Sprinkle work surface with flour and roll out until thin. Use a 7cm scone cutter and cut out the oatcakes, rolling the scraps up until all is used. Makes about 15. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Are ready when lightly coloured and crisp. Cool on wire rack and store in biscuit tin when cold. Has a low GI.
Next week I'm going to make Bara Brith. But I don't have all the ingredients so it is going to have to wait until I go shopping again.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Friday is a busy day as I teach in the morning and then work in the afternoon. My Friday morning class is good and I have a bunch of really good students. Today we made the Storm at Sea block which I like because of its optical illusion of motion. Then straight on to work and after that home to make dinner as Martin works on a Friday night. So I'm exhausted. I think I shall curl up with a book for a while and unwind.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for that. Oatmeal and flour definitely on my shopping list tomorrow. I hope mine come out as yummy looking as yours did!

    ReplyDelete