Sunday, January 29, 2006

Sunny Sunday!

It was a lovely day today. The sun was shining and it was freezing cold but not as cold as yesterday. In the morning I made the Bara Brith (the fruit has to soak overnight...I'd forgotten that) and ironed the batch of dyed fabric. As this was basically a fulfilling of orders there wasn't anything out of the ordinary as mostly people want a particular colour and not a 'one off' which they will choose from my varied selection. This time it was mostly electric blue and pale peach so I decided to do some pastels as well. One piece I did for myself and I love was based on honeysuckle colours. It came out better than I hoped for and so I was pleased.
====
Then after lunch Martin and I went to look at the boat. Don't go getting ideas! We have a small rowing boat which we leave at Trevissome marine on the Fal. Trevissome is a manor house with land running down to the river. It is very useful as it isn't too far to get to and in the summer we have a lot of fun rowing up or down the river to various places, sometimes taking a picnic lunch or tea, and we get a lot of good exercise. We do have an outboard motor on the back as the current can be extremely strong especially if the tide is against one. We used to keep it on the Helford river (of Frenchman's Creek fame-Daphne du Maurier) but it was miles away and also we had to haul the boat up a steep incline which was way too much exercise! The manor is Georgian but has been turned into flats and holiday lets as so many of these older houses are. Although Pendennis castle is Tudor the majority of the town is Georgian. Falmouth isn't as old as Penryn which has a much older history. It was bitterly cold so we didn't stay long, just long enough for me to take some pictures. And then back home for coffee and to try the cake. It was delicious!

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your report of your Sunday afternoon and the photos. It reminded me of a short visit to Falmouth many years ago.
    Your dyed colours are lovely and if I were nearer I'd drop in for a piece of your Bara Brith it looks delicious.
    Do you soak it overnight in tea? I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty pastels, Val. Often pastels look washed out, but these have presence.

    ReplyDelete