Friday, January 06, 2006

Strange goings on!

I have just had the most weird experience. I was sitting quietly reading my book when I heard something drop in the kitchen. The sort of dropping noise that bits of a falling ceiling would make. I went and looked. Nothing! So I went back to the book. About ten minutes later I heard the sound again only this time it was more of a popping sound. Nothing to see but I thoroughly checked out the kitchen. Looked in the fridge and freezer to see if it were ice dropping, checked outside to see if it were something hitting the window. Scary moment that as I am on my own here! Went upstairs to see if anything was falling away upstairs like a mammoth hole appearing in the floor! By now I am paranoid. Go back to the kitchen to make a hot drink. When in doubt make hot chocolate - always helps. So I am making the hot chocolate when the noise happens again. I swing round quickly and I'm hit in the face by something sharp and scratchy. It happens again. Wah! Do you know what it was? No of course you don't. But I shall tell you. This morning I had picked a couple of dead acanthus flower stalks with the seed pods on them as I thought they looked good for sketching and I might use them on fabric. Well the heat of the house had made those seed pods open and they didn't just open they opened as if under fire from a cannon. No wonder acanthus plants grow everywhere in Cornwall. They are triffids in disguise! I'm posting a picture so you can see what I'm talking about. I wasn't going to blog today as I was just so depressed with still no proper internet connection but this was too funny to pass up! I'm now going back to my book and the worms!

7 comments:

  1. How funny! Can imagine how disconcerting it must have been to hear the sound and not know what it was, but then to be hit by flying acanthus bits...well, sounds almost like science fiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. See? Chocolate is ALWAYS good for what ails you, perfect proof.

    Great blog entry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! One of those things that's funny later but would be way freaky while it's happening!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh seed pods...must stay awake.Just watched that movie over New Year's. Be sure and keep an eye on Martin's behavior

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant pressie for people you don't really like . . . *evil grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Grins hugely. Thanks for the telling :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. ummm, that would freak me out too...although the pods are appealing in their shape and color and texture.

    ReplyDelete