Thursday, September 01, 2005

Home again!

Warning! This will all be about my recent travels to Scotland for the next couple of days so that I can fill in details for the family, and any friends I might have! lol And also so I don't have to repeat myself too much! So stop reading now if you don't want a travelogue!

Well after nearly ten days away I'm back. For family and friends I have taken over 500 photographs but I promise I won't put them all up here. If you want to see them all you'll have to come round for coffee! We had a great time and although the weather was atrocious - it rained constantly on the journey up to Scotland - it was still fun and we enjoyed ourselves immensly. I don't want any rude comments about my road pictures from family and friends either! Considering that we did nearly 2000 miles in the car I was lucky to get any photos at all. The journey up was uneventful. We stopped the night at Leyland which is near Preston which is near Lancaster. Leyland is the home of the Leyland truck manufacturers and they had a museum there of all their trucks etc going back to sometime at the end of the 19th century when they started up. It was also near to Southport where I took some pictures of the sea. I found this coastline amazing as the sea went out so far and it was all so flat. Very different to our Cornish coast. It was very bleak as well without any sun to enliven the day. I was lucky to get the odd glimmer showing up in one or two of the photos.

The next day we managed to avoid a massive hold up on the motor way. An oil tanker had overturned in the night and spilled its load and part of the motor way was closed. This is a view of the traffic on the other side of the road when we rejoined after the incident. The traffic was static and went on for over ten miles! It was quite tedious and boring driving on the motorway but at least time passed quickly. Martin had treated himself to a TomTom navigator before we left and he was so pleased with it. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with it as it was able to tell us about hold ups ahead and find us ways round them. He was like a dog with two tails using this thing! LOL It did save me having to struggle with maps and try not to get us lost or even send us back down the motor way to home! Which I have been known to do! lol Anyway please bear in mind that most of these photos have been taken from a moving vehicle and so arn't of the best quality! Though I have to say that my Fuiji digital camera takes a remarkably good photo under the most awful conditions.

We arrived in Dalgety Bay by tea time and after rest and relaxation and a lot of chat we went out for a walk by the estuary of the Forth river. As usual it was the stones and seaweeds that interested me most. As Scotland is granite country just like Cornwall it wasn't going to be likely that they would be any different. However the granite was black which was a change!

I am exhausted so this is it for now. I shall continue with the narrative tomorrow with details of the castles we visited and our mammouth round trip round the lochs. But now its time for bed! Oh the joys of being in our own bed again! Perhaps my bones can now recover!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back. I missed reading your blog! And I want to come for tea and see ALL your pix! Anyway, welcome home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Valeri! I'm looking forward to seeing lots of photos. Thanks for the one of Southport - I grew up in Stoke-on-Trent and we used to go there for daytrips (along with Blackpool...). Did you go to St Andrews? (I went to university there).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are safely home and am looking forward to seeing more pictures of your trip!

    ReplyDelete