Sunday, July 10, 2005

Figwort it is!

Thanks Liz. Figwort it is. The picture looks the same and all the identifications fit so I'm going with Figwort. I'm quite disappointed as I really wanted a giant Comfrey plant. I certainly don't need Figwort which is used in the cure of Scrofula! And its not an attractive plant and not worth keeping in the event I get abscesses and boils! grin! So I will dig it up! After all the nurturing I've given it I feel quite cheated! But I'm truly grateful to you Liz for taking the trouble to look it up for me. I'll go and look up Figwort in my plant book just in case it is a miracle cure for something I might have! Bigger grin!

Its been too hot here today to do anything so I've been lying under the umbrella enjoying a spasmodic breeze and dwelling on all the things I ought to be doing such as ironing the mammoth amount of cloth I dyed last night. I think that will have to wait until the cool of the evening. Got some gorgeous greens! Its lovely to be lazy! And eat icecream!

1 comment:

  1. Glad I could help!! I really enjoyed the quest actually - and at least there's another plant I know not to bother nurturing if it arrives uninvited in my garden!

    I found this on a web search actually so it may be of some use:

    "Of the different kinds of Figwort used, this species is the most employed, principally as a fometation for sprains, swellings, inflammations, wounds and diseased parts, especially in scroulous sores and gangrene.
    The leaves simply bruised are employed by the peasantry in some districts as an application to burns and swellings.
    The Welsh so highly esteem the plant that they call it Deilen Ddu ('the good leaf'). In Ireland it is known as Rose Noble and as Kernelwort. Gerard tells us, referring to what he evidently considered an exaggerated estimate of its worth: 'Divers do rashly teach that if it be hanged about the necke, or else carried about one, it keepeth a man in health.'
    http://www.the-tree.org.uk/EnchantedForest/WoodlandFlowers/commonfigwort.htm

    ReplyDelete